Sunday, August 18, 2013

Plant Stands, More Planters and Plants


Here is what happened on my southern balcony in the last couple of months...  I added three planters and put (almost) all of them on the stands!

Planters

I've got new planters!  Large IKEA HUSON planter, small IKEA HUSON planter, and a large rectangular planter.   Let's have a closer look at every planter...

1. 2ft Planter

Compare this to what it was in June.  Growth is intense.  Yet I am not exactly happy.  It's just I do not exactly know what to do with this growth.  I have a pot which clearly needs pruning.  Never did it in my life. This Lantana is not spilling enough, Hot Lips Sage, although it grew significantly, is not dense enough to be pleasing, Honeysuckle looks good and attracts hummingbirds but is also shapeless.  At least I know whom to blame.
Almost forgot!  The stand!  I wanted something modern-looking, so just threw few pieces of redwood 2x4 on top of IKEA LILLÅNGEN leg frame.

2. Planters Combo

Compare this to what it was in June. Spider flower grew in height but seems to have much less leaves than before.  Overall I do not care much for this plant.
Coreopsis increased in volume dramatically, looks very good.  Now however its bottom leaves are drying out.  Should I remove those?  Seem to be too much hassle.  Or should I just cut the entire plant?
Sanvitalia proved to have amazing ability to dry out and then recover after only minutes of watering.  Interesting plant.  What do I do with this annual in the fall?
The stand is another IKEA LILLÅNGEN leg frame.with few redwood 2x4s on top.

3. 2ft Planter

Compare this to what it was in June. As with other planters, I do not know what to do about this growth.  Honeysuckle grows well.  Gaura even better but from a short distance does not exactly look very nice - too sparse.  Same with English lavender.  The latter has flowers on long flexible stems and none are spillers - I've got a pot with two fillers and no spillers!
Same DIY stand made of IKEA part.

4. Large Rectangular Planter

I like this plastic planter!  Same DIY stand made of IKEA part. And here is my best spiller!  Same lantana but with nice spilling habit. I also had two sunflowers in this box but these died within a week.  As you can see I do not know exactly what to do about this planter.  I like the way it looks though and will leave it as is this season.



5. Small Galvanized Steel Planter

This small IKEA HUSON planter holds Molimba Helio White.  I like simplicity and vigor of this Marguerite Daisy anual.  I need to get a stand for this planter!

6. Large Galvanized Steel Planter

Just finished potting this gorgeous Alaska Azalea (Azalea indica 'Alaska', Rutherfordiana hybrid) in a modern-looking galvanized steel planter.  Proximity to a southern-facing wall might be an issue.  I am optimistic though.  Need to make soil acidic.

No comments:

Post a Comment