Tuesday, June 10, 2014

New plants - Japanese maple, Juniper, etc.

I really really like the look of Japanese maple.  So much I saved on my phone this list of cultivars which can grow in a container.  And then, one of the days I was driving near my favorite big box store I noticed a parking lot sale.  That is Japanese maple sale.
In this container I have Acer palmatum var. dissectum 'Tamukeyama' with a clump of Dwarf Mondo Grass Green (Ophiopogon japonicus 'nana') split in halves.  Probably I should have bought two of the grass mounds.  This container sits on the northern balcony near the edge of the building so it is hit by a morning sun.  Tamukeyama is believed to be the most sun resistant of all the Japanese maple dissectums.  I love to sit in the shade and just admire its intricate leaves.





This other specimen I bought is Acer Palmatum 'Crimson Queen'.  Also believed to be sun tolerant.  It sits under the roof eaves on my South-facing balcony.  I suspect its too hot for it during the day and I should move it out along with Azalea.
Finally, here is my last container done in a totally new style.  In the middle I have Juniperus procumbens Green Mound.  It will (hopefully cover the entire container, but until it does, I have Bacopa Snowstorm Giant Snowflake (Sutera cordata). Sorry, I have no idea, where the flowers went.

No comments:

Post a Comment