Friday, June 20, 2014

Plumbed Draining Tray

Ideal planter for my balcony would have drainage which I could plumb so that the water is routed off the balcony.  Self watering containers could probably be customized for this.  So far I am focusing on creating a drip tray with plumbing routing the water off the balcony.

Common Parts

I use economy-priced of-the-shelf components.
Tray
Elbow
1/2" male thread to 1/2" barb
1/2" tubing
I took the design through a couple of iterations.



Standard Bulkhead Design

I started with a standard bulkhead.  Unfortunately it is too bulky, so I had to cut it short.  Also to reduce the height I used the included rubber gasket on the bottom instead of the top (water) side.  This made use of silicon during assembly mandatory.

Parts
1/2" Plug is used to hold bulkhead
while cutting it short

Use silicon while assembling.
To reduce the amount of standing water
I cut some groves.



DIY Bulkhead Design

I was somewhat disappointed with standard bulkhead.  If messing and modification is requried, I might as well use cheaper components.  I could not find 1/2" nuts to hold the elbow, so I decided to create these.

This part will be used to create two nuts.

Parts

Two nuts cut, the rest to be discarded.
Dry assembly
Assembled with silicone
That's it, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment